Kumasi, Ghana - Tro-Tro Bus Station

Kumasi, Ghana - Tro-Tro Bus Station

Sekondi, Ghana

Sekondi, Ghana

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Wait for me. I’m coming. I’m coming.

just Alex

Tuesday was Patrick’s baptism. It was a day to remember for sure. We showed up to the chapel a few hours early to make sure all is in order and sure enough the font has only 2-3 inches of water in it, and water isn’t flowing. Sigh… Well, you would be surprised how much work you can get done with a few phone calls and a large group of LDS Africans fetching water from a well a few hundred yards away for about an hour. Was a cool experience to be apart of really. Just very humbling.

(Isaac Dadzi - ward mission leader, Emanualla, Patrick Ofosu, e. Darrow)

The baptism went very, very well. Patrick was late cuz he got in a car that broke down on the way so he had to walk a fair majority of the way. He showed up real sweaty and stressed out. I got numberless phone calls of him begging... "Elder Darrow, wait for me. I’m coming. I’m coming" he really is such a stud.

As for updates with Mike Allen, well he is a frickin stud. This week was EPIC with him and his progression. On Friday we taught him all about Christ’s doctrine (faith, repentance, baptism, enduring to the end.) We ask him how he feels about what he read, NOT how he understood it but how he feels. He said that he has responsibilities and a purpose. (Me) "What responsibilities?” He said “Well, to do Christ’s doctrine.” (Me) And how are you to do that? He says “Well... I need to be baptized." :))!!! It was so cool to let the spirit direct and teach him and let him see all that on his own. We asked, 'Okay. Why don’t we set a date in the future so we can prepare for it so you can be ready" and then he interrupts me and says: "Shouldn’t I be baptized as soon as possible? What if Christ comes next week?” :-) We were very happy he sees the importance. We explain how he should fully understand what it is that he’s doing and make sure he understands the church well enough so he is fully ready. We set the date for Dec 21. (A week after transfers...) he was very very happy about all of this, as were we. He’s such a sweet guy.

Well when we show up Sat morning, his mom said that he’s not around and that we are to call him. So we do and he says that he is on his way up to Kumasi. Sigh..... His brother called him and needed him to come up. He wasn’t sure why and doesn’t even know how long. Sigh… We talked to him again on Sun. and he still isn’t sure. But he did say he very much wanted to continue the lessons up there. So I called elder MacKay, and told him all about him. I’m not exactly sure what is going to happen with him but I will keep you updated for sure. He is such a powerful investigator and I will miss him so much. After a lot of heartbreak and confusion Sat/Sun, I got to understand that there is a bigger picture. This guy changed and has been showed the light and the way. Maybe he will come back down or maybe I will be transferred to him.

This week was quite crazy with the whole elder MacKay / Thompson switch. I was very sad to see e MacKay go, but e Thompson is sweet. I enjoy him in the apt.

(Sekondi Apartment - Elders Thompson, Mathesen, Darrow & Yapo)

As for Thanksgiving. Well... nothing like it should of been. But i’m in Africa. To be honest, if I showed pictures to the people here of how much I would eat on this day, in one sitting they would cry. So I guess it’s good I didn’t. We all just got fried rice and minerals and enjoyed back at the apt.

As for my birthday that is coming up around the corner. No big plans really. I’m sure i’ll do something worthwhile and memorable. It will be hard to be away from the fam and friends and mostly my big bro. but (sniff sniff), i’ll get over it. All will be well.

Thanks for everything that you do. You guys really do rock the place. I am so so grateful for all that you do. I couldn’t do it without you.

BIG LOVES

elder darrow

2 comments:

Marcus and Amy said...

good letter. :)

Lori B. said...

What a stud! He sounds good. What a testimony. wow! Kev, I do like his hair longer so he can part it.