Kumasi, Ghana - Tro-Tro Bus Station

Kumasi, Ghana - Tro-Tro Bus Station

Sekondi, Ghana

Sekondi, Ghana

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Issac and the end of rain season.

by dad

After the October General Conference I mailed copies of the talks. In his email he proceeded to give a detailed account of each speaker and his thoughts and reviews on 16 talks he read. I’m not sure if he wanted us to know he read them OR wanted to make sure we read them. Either way, he "loved, loved, loved the conference talks.” A few of my favorites… Holland - Rocking the mic! I realized I could be so much more grateful for things. Kearon - "When obedience becomes our goal, it is no longer an irritation; instead of a stumbling block it becomes a building block." Sick! Andersen - "Never leave Him. Choose not to be offended and ashamed." Word up!

He did send a little information about Ghana too.

I’m here and I come with news. My new comp is e. Matheson. He is from e Mackays mtc group and he has served in two areas in Kumasi his entire mission. He from utah. Right now, all I care about is that I’m going to be here in Sekondi. e Sintim is going to Kumasi along with e Dadegnon, same apt as e Holmes. I am going to miss them a ton.
(Issac Mah and Elder Darrow)
As for Isaac Mah, I don’t want to tell the story cuz it’s too deep, but let’s just say Isaac was the reason I came to Sekondi. I have no doubt about it. He continues to teach me things that have changed who I am. I love that man more then you could understand. He is so solid. He is making incredible sacrifices to join the church. He is a story I’m gonna keep close to my heart. He is a refugee from Liberia and has nothing. I will tell all you about him on the Christmas call. It’s just too personal to share his story. You just won’t understand till you hear it full. His baptism will be at the end of the month.

As for Patrick. Also a stud. Things are going just dandy with him and he has been ready for baptism for some time. I’m excited for that day.

We also got to sit with Mashal for the first time. She is a wife (just married this month) of a member. She has been coming to church the past month but is just too busy to sit with us. We got to sit with her Sunday night and had a very, very, very powerful lesson. One of those where the spirit teaches and you say things that you shouldn’t say the first lesson and didn’t plan on saying at all. When we started talking about how she can be sealed to her husband forever and that any kids she has (she’s prego) are hers FOREVER. And that in this church we know that families are forever etc. After all that she just looks at us and asked in a very, very sincere way. "How do I do that??” You can only imagine how strong the spirit was. We were very excited for her.

All three of those peeps were at church this Sunday. I love Sekondi.

Sekondi, Ghana is located just north of the equator. It has two seasons; hot and rain. The rain season has come to an end and now it is just hot. It will be hot until the Harmattan winds blow in the first part of the year. That bring back the rains. Until then, it’s just hot. Hot, dusty and dry. Here’s few picture from the last down pour. The brown water is what most of the dirt the roads look like when it rains.



On Saturday I went on exchange with elder MacKay. I always love those. We did that only cuz e Yapo didn’t feel well and we both had people to see so it was our best option. We did work. It was a hot, hot day and we were all over the place. Sekondi to Esicadu to Injecia to BU. We had some powerful lessons. I really enjoy teaching with elder MacKay. Was a cool day.

As for my birthday and Christmas, in all honesty there isn’t anything that I want or need, maybe some deodorant. I feel like you do so much. Don’t worry about me. Seriously though anything that you want to send is welcomed with open and loving arms. But you do WAY too much as it is already. I can’t thank you enough for all you do.

big, big loves,

elder darrow

1 comment:

Lori B. said...

Love this post. He's growing up. "...Christmas, in all honesty there isn’t anything that I want or need.." wow!