Kumasi, Ghana - Tro-Tro Bus Station

Kumasi, Ghana - Tro-Tro Bus Station

Sekondi, Ghana

Sekondi, Ghana

Monday, October 4, 2010

Sekondi Zone

Just Alex...

Well hello, hello...k so how awesome was Gen. Conf. Right??? Blah. I didn’t get to enjoy. Thanks again for all of the emails. So awesome to have family who cares.

This week had a lot going on. I’ll try and update you as much as I can. Before I go on, I think everyone but Ryan emailed about The Amazing Race. I felt like I watched it. Weird to think that I’m in a place they show as that crazy African 3rd world country. I hope it didn’t make it look too ghetto. This place really is amazing. I’m sure they did. Don’t you worry. This place is the bomb. But yes.. very 3rd world. hahah. I forget sometimes.

(the Sekondi Zone Sept. 2010)

So as for updates for the week. We found out that the temple trip was canceled. The area office doesn’t want people going outside mission boundaries. But... I am serving a mission for the living not for the dead. I can do that stuff later.

Interviews were on Weds. They were very, very powerful. Had a really cool chat with Pres Sabey. Love that guy. He truly is inspired.

I have been reading the BOM a lot and just really getting into it. I’m in the end of Alma. I love that book. Every time I read from it, I learn something. And a shout out to momma. I just read about the 2000 momma’s babies and I wept like a small girl. They are just awesome and had mothers who prepared them. I could relate. So, thank you.

This week was elders Sintim’s one-year mark and that was a lot of fun. Today at the stake center we played Aubra in football. I was the keeper and decided to really play. I was surprised how much of it all came back. I was ready to get dirty, sliding all over the place. We ended up winning in a shootout. (I know mom loved those so much.) Soo many people told me how surprised they were that I was agile and could do the stuff I did. I should have told them I can do a cartwheel too... hahaha but enough about that. After we got to have cake and Fanta soda cuz all the people hitting the one year wanted to party. That was fun.

On Friday night we got to sit with Isaac Mahh. I feel lucky just to be able to teach someone like him. He was prepared for this message. We started our lesson with the intro of the BOM. He talked for about 10 min about it. He was just loving it and bore a bold testimony of the book and we haven’t even really got into it with him. This is all before we even started the lesson. Maybe the best opening to a lesson I have ever had. I would imagine it would be like if I went to go watch a MJ concert and Jack Johnson opened for him.

We had one of the most powerful lessons I have been part of. We talked about the plan of salvation. And he was so happy that the BOM told us more about that subject. . After reading with him and explaining how this life is the time to prepare to meet God he broke the silence with ‘wow! That’s serious.’ As we taught him I could see the message pierce his heart and see his eyes open up to our message. The entire lesson as I got to witness this. I had a silent prayer in my heart for being so lucky to be apart of it all.

He says over and over again that he loves the new understanding that we bring when we come. At the end of the lesson he asked us... "Before one is baptized, how far must he progress?" :) :) :) I love it. We explained how we want to teach him everything and let him gain a testimony of it all and that his baptism will come soon. He’s so sweet.

(Baby Do, Joseph, Elder D, Patrick, Raymond, Agyemang)

Lessons still go really well with Patrick. Sometimes is hard to teach him cuz he has so much to say, and when ever we teach him, anything we say takes us to some random verse in the bible that leads to another random thing that goes somewhere else. He reads the dictionary and reads a lot of stuff online. He knows the origin of every word and all types of random information that you’re just like “What???" . hahahah. Things go well with him. He is very intelligent but lessons take forever. He loves this gospel and has a testimony so that’s all that matters.

On Sunday when we got to church Isaac was there waiting. Man that’s a sweet lesson. Patrick isn’t always a regular at church and that’s something we got to fix. Also Justice and Kathryn were there. (the two people who just need to get married and then baptism but culture is getting in the way of their salvation.) too bad.

Thank you, thank you, thank you again for everything. I love you guys big time.

What it do baby, it’s the ice man.

elder D

1 comment:

Marcus and Amy said...

What a neat mission. He will carry these memories with him forever!