Kumasi, Ghana - Tro-Tro Bus Station

Kumasi, Ghana - Tro-Tro Bus Station

Sekondi, Ghana

Sekondi, Ghana

Friday, October 22, 2010

Where in the World?

by dad



Where is Alex?
What is it like there?
How do they get around?
Is it safe there?



These seem to be regular questions asked about Alex. So I thought I’d post a few answers. Sekondi, is a coastal city, just north of the equator in Ghana, West Africa. The population of Ghana is estimated at 22 million. The western region has roughly 2 million people, with the majority living in the capital of the region, Sekondi-Takoradi, which has approximately 350,000 - 400,000 residents. Sekondi has a population of 175,000.


The downtown area streets are paved, with stores, shops and an open market. The streets always seem to active with people, especially children. Alex wrote home recently and said…

"There aren’t enough words to describe or pictures to send home to explain the complete AWESOMENESS of this place."

They walk everywhere they go, 6-8 miles a day, sometimes more, sometimes less. A few of the missionaries have bikes, mostly the Zone Leaders. Sometimes they will ride a small bus (tro-tro) to get somewhere faster or if it’s just too far to walk. Sometimes they are in populated areas with apartments.

Sometimes the walk to more remote villages.


Sometimes they use safe bridges and sometimes bridges a little less safe.


Sometimes they walk the rails as the trains pass by.

And sometimes they just walk on trails.


But they are always safe…

Momma - I want you to know that I’m safe. I really am. I thought it was going to to a scary place, but Ghana is a safe place and religious men are well protected. Don’t you worry at all. All is well with me. I love this work so much and I feel so blessed to be in such an amazing place. Thanks again for all that you do. I couldn’t do it without you.

Big Hug

Elder “Buster Baby-boy” Darrow

3 comments:

Marcus and Amy said...

very cool mission.

Jess said...

I really enjoyed this post p-doe. I like how you set up the Q&A. It sure answered my questions.

Mike and Shelby said...

What a sweet note to his momma! Very comforting. Mike experienced the same thing...he served in the [really scary] ghetto areas of New Jersey but he always says 'the brothers had the missionaries backs' ...like Alex said, the religious men are protected.