Kumasi, Ghana - Tro-Tro Bus Station

Kumasi, Ghana - Tro-Tro Bus Station

Sekondi, Ghana

Sekondi, Ghana

Monday, October 18, 2010

That's thier justice.

by dad

This weeks' email had the latest news on his health (he had a boil), his diet (fruits and veggies are expensive and "fried plantains and beans are cheap and fill him to the rim”) and his recent craving for lasagna and a frosty.

As for investigators:Agyemang and Patricia loved church and the lesson was powerful, but they wouldn’t promise to come this week, which is good cuz at least they understand the meaning of a promise. Pray for them. It’s a fine line to mess with a father and his kids so there isn’t much we can do.

Patrick and Isaac Mahh, both were at church this week and all is going well. We really are focusing on "fruit that will remain” and after lots of studying, fasting and praying, I know that the right thing to do for is to wait. We want them to really understand the importance of baptism and the covenants they are making. We want them to be ready and I want them to be powerful members. Both of them are 2 people that I really want to be a part of their baptism and help them along the way, but I know what God wants, is for them to understand what they are doing. Just pray for them. And pray for me to stay with them. They both mean so much to me, especially Isaac. Has such an amazing story and was ready for this gospel. He’s a person I will never forget.

Now on to more sobering African news…I saw something this week that I will never forget. Something that reminded me where I am and how different life is here. I saw something that I have only heard stories about. Walking in the streets of Sekondi ,right in the heart by the market, we saw a huge crowd yelling and shouting and freaking out about something. As we walked up, we quickly found out what was going on. A thief had been caught. :( Now here in Ghana they go by a different policy. Because everyone has a mother or a wife or friend etc. who owns a shop, they go by the people system. Everybody governs everybody. Yes there are police and it’s an understatement to say you would be lucky if they were the ones who caught you. I witnessed a crowd take this man who was caught stealing and just about beat him to death. They all surround him and just all get their own punches in till the police come. And if they don’t come then mostly likely they kill you or almost kill you. And that’s one thing they see as perfectly normal. That’s their justice. I stood there and watched this horrible scene, and there was nothing I could do. I didn’t want to watch but I couldn’t look away. It was so sad. Now, I’m not saying that the thief is right, but I was quickly reminded what the real world is like and how different life is outside of my pampered life back home. It was something that is burned into my memory. It was a sad, sad day. Just another reason and visual of how fortunate I am.

I really am so grateful for all that I have. I can’t thank you enough for everything.

Elder Alexander Charles Darrow

3 comments:

Marcus and Amy said...

That really breaks my heart. How sad. And to think that maybe even he was stealing to survive? How sad.

Nicki said...

wow... that's eyeopening...

Mike and Shelby said...

oh, man. That is sobbering.