Kumasi, Ghana - Tro-Tro Bus Station

Kumasi, Ghana - Tro-Tro Bus Station

Sekondi, Ghana

Sekondi, Ghana

Monday, October 11, 2010

I draw it out in the dirt for a visual.

just Alex

Well hello, hello family. So... I shall first reply to any emails that I read. In response to The Amazing Race and kids running around with an old bike tire and stick. Well, that’s real here. They will use just about anything as a soccer ball. I get the biggest kick out of seeing them turn empty cans into cars. They put a string on it and run around with them. You forget how 3rd world it is after a while. You ask 'how you do it day in and day out?' Well, you have such a love for the people and its home. It’s like all I know. Just imagine big elder Darrow hopping in with a random game off football when they are using an empty plastic bottle for a ball. I love it. I love them. I love it here. It’s sad to think that one-day i'm going to leave here. Wow. It’s just not real. I really do love it here.

(kids in the neighborhood)

Okay enough with elder Africa. As for what went down this week... our lesson with Isaac was very cool. We taught about repentance. It just made me so grateful for the atonement. Was a cool lesson and he is just about ready for baptism. So is Patrick. The lesson with him went really well.

It’s been a bit since we sat with Agyemang and Patricia. With their school starting it’s just been hard to meet. Well we went by and only Patricia was around. We really talked about why she didn’t come to church. She gave us a promise that this time no matter what she would come. No matter what. (As a missionary you hear a lot off empty promises). I have been teaching Agyemang for over 4 months and Patricia for close to 4 months. It's hard working so hard and not seeing results. We had a cool lesson with her about 1 NE 8. (it's Lehi's vision of the Tree of Life. I LOVE that chapter.) Well it was sweet. And i'll tell you I never get sick of teaching that as I draw it out in the dirt below us for a visual to help them learn. We left knowing that we would just come next week and talk about why they didn’t come. Sigh... Nothing new.

On Sat. I went on exchange with elder MacKay. He really is so sweet. I love elder MacKay. I know that part of the reason he was sent here was for me. Elder MacKay is a stud. It’s so sweet to have him to talk to and I have learned A LOT from him. Well exchange was sweet. We did WORK. We were in Sekondi in the morning and Injacia (sp?) in the afternoon. It was a hot day so it made the work feel that much sweeter. haha. Had some powerful lessons and I love teaching with him.

(Elder Darrow & Elder MacKay)

That night we stopped by the Lambs. I Love the lambs. Such a blessing to us. They also told us a ton about what’s going on up in Sunyani. I'm sure elder Bahme is just loving life up there. Talked about how crazy fast this mission is growing. Ghana is ready for the gospel.

Sunday was also sweet. We got to church small early. I went around the room and greeted everyone. I love the ward. After greeting everyone I walked back to the door and waited. As I was waiting there, I saw Patrick walk in looking sharp with shirt and tie. Made me happy after our thick Sabbath day lesson.Then I looked passed them and there stood Agyemang and Patricia, looking better then ever . :))) ... I almost cried. hahah. (Thanks mom... : l) Man was I happy. A guy in our ward was getting married so we had a lot of visitors, so our investigators class was full. That was cool. Had maybe 30+ people in class.

After class, I noticed that the 13-15 yrs didn’t have a teacher. Sigh... They were just sitting there and screwing off. I ended up teaching that class. No biggy.

(kids in the ward)

Isaac didn’t show up to church and I'm not sure why. I'll keep you updated when I know. We were invited to the Lambs after for dinner. It was e Yapos b-day. I ate enough spaghetti and brownies and ice cream for 10 small children. I always go home sick. Every time I say I wont do that again but every time I do. What can you do? I miss food. So that basically sums up the week.

Love you guys big big. Thanks for all you do cant tell you enough!

BIG LOVES

elder Darrow

5 comments:

Lori B. said...

Could he sound any better?

Marcus and Amy said...

Wow, really makes you feel grateful for all that you have!

Love all those pictures with the kids! Could they all be any cuter!?

Jana E said...

You can tell how much he loves the kids

Nicki said...

How could you not love the kids!? They are absolutely adorable and I can't get over how clean they manage to stay!

Mike and Shelby said...

I LOVE that he loves it there! No coincidence here-Alex IS meant to be there!