Kumasi, Ghana - Tro-Tro Bus Station

Kumasi, Ghana - Tro-Tro Bus Station

Sekondi, Ghana

Sekondi, Ghana

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

The Map was SICK

by dad

I like maps. When Alex wrote home a few months ago and said 'there are no maps here', I could hardly believe it. When we asked how did they find people or places he said 'people just walk with you and show you where to go'. We decided there was an easier way...Google Earth. After a volley of emails over a few weeks, we finally narrowed down his area (and still missed 'BU' because Google Earth is a blur). Then, I spent a little time creating "The Sick Map". Elder D writes...

First things first! The big package I got on Tue was soooo sweet. Thank you so, so much. It was awesome. P-doe, (dad) the map was SICK. I'm sure you knew that but thanks again. We LOVED it.

After opening everything, I laid it out on the ground and all the elders swarmed and figured it out. Some of the others elders areas were on there and where we live is on there. It was instantly put up on the wall. SO, SO, SO sick. I will say you went a BIT over board. ahahhaha but i flippin loved it thank you so much. it rocks. So now when you walk in our apt there is a huge map up on the wall. I wish you guys could know how awesome it is to get stuff from you guys.

(The wall map of Sekondi and neighboring towns)

The zone conf we had on Wed. was sweet. It was a 130 min drive to cape coast and our zone and takoradi zone all went in a big tro-tro. The conf went really well. Powerful talk from pres about completing the goal and even more powerful was the second talk he gave. It was mostly about the two missionaries in Accra, Ghana (falsely accused and jailed) and he had a very, very powerful talk about how important the rules are and why they are there and why we must always be with our comp and so on. That was sweet. The whole place was silent as we stared and listened with our mouths open. It was intense.

Alex says the work as a missionary is going very well. They seem to always have someone to teach. The difficult part is weeding through those who are truly interested in hearing what they have to share. Most rewarding, is to have a recent convert say he is thinking about serving a mission.

This week we finally got to sit with Agyemang's whole family. We have been trying to for some time and it went really well. I think with the Lord’s help he will lead his whole family into the water with a good push from us and the nagging of his eager son Agyemang. He wants to be baptized so badly and it would be cool to get the whole family. Fruits that will remain.

Still going well with Ebenezer’s and Pau Quaseys. Yup Both have a 2 year old and a 10 year old. Don’t have a lot of time to go into each of them, but going well.

This week King David was asking me questions about missions and said he is somehow thinking about serving.... how sick would that be? Wow that made me happy. He’s such a smart kid. He turns 21 in Jan. and by the time he went that would be a normal age for Africans. Makes me so giddy thinking about it.

(A Home/Area Compound type thing)

I wish I could tell you how sweet it is to walk into a home/area and have little kids run up and actually call you by your name and grab your hand and walk you up to where you are going to meet. Happens every time I walk into Josephs’ compound type thing. My heart just melts. They are so awesome. I love the kids and I really do love the people.

As for things with Elder Sintim, he is so sweet and I really am learning to love him like a brother. But he walks so slow. He is never in a rush. But not in a bad way just his personality. Just a really chill dude. He’s very upfront with people. I'm learning and adjusting. Nothing new. We are getting really close and I'm excited to get closer. Gonna learn to love that kid.

(Elders Sintim & Darrow at the Apartment - (with a number 2 haircut))

(Elders Darrow & Sintim - Pday at the Stake Center)

Thanks for all that you do. You really are so, so awesome, thanks.

Keep saying those prayers.

And don’t forget to wash your hands. The world is full of filth :) -

elder darrow

1 comment:

Marcus and Amy said...

So awesome yet again. I can imagine the feeling you would get when a convert would want to serve a mission. So cool.

And I love his last comment about washing your hands...totally random, but yet so true!

Keep it up Elder Darrow!