Kumasi, Ghana - Tro-Tro Bus Station

Kumasi, Ghana - Tro-Tro Bus Station

Sekondi, Ghana

Sekondi, Ghana

Saturday, April 10, 2010

Laryngitis doesn't stop the laughter.

by dad

Alex's second letter started with this...
I woke up yesterday and I couldn't really talk. My throat has been scratchy but that's nothing new. Today it was just as bad, but it doesn't hurt. No swollen glands, no fever so i know it's nothing serious. I went to see the Area Dr. (he actually happens to be an Ear, Nose & Throath doctor) and he knew exactly what was wrong. I have some form of Laryngitis. He said my voice box or something is swollen. He said I should just try not to talk or if I do, whisper in a low tone voice. If it doesn't get better, then it's a virus and we will do anti-biotics. He said it is caused by by the change of climate or the dust in the air. But by the time you read this, I'll be all better :-).

How can you not love the faith of a missionary? He was all better by time he mailed the letter.

Turns out, in Ghana this time of year, they have what is called Harmattan Wind. It's sand that comes from the Sahara (see the map to the right), so there are dust particles in the air which make it constantly hazy and dirty. I guess a lot of the missionaries have had sore eyes and/or sore throaths.

On one of their trips to the temple, Alex took these photos of the area near the Accra Temple. He said...
The drive is about 45 min drive w/traffic, maybe 20 mins or less if the roads were like Utah, but they never will be. Everything is so different. It's mad chaos on the streets. Anywhere that you slow down or where it's bumper to bumper, there are people walking up and down selling things. Worthless things to me, but if I were in Utah, they would get me. You know I'm an impulse buyer. Seeing the city got me so excited to serve.

It's nice to see Elder Darrow is still Alex and he still has his way about him...
The teachers call me the most energetic/outgoing/happiest missionary. Actually, this whole group is always smiling, happy and always singing... ALL NIGHT LONG! The big joke around the MTC is about me and the French missionaries (that speak french, from Congo, Ivory Coast etc.). For some reason they love to say my name, ELL-DAH DAHHHUN (that's how they sound it out). Everytime the French see me, they yell it out and everytime they walk by my room, apparently even when I'm not around. And from that, a lot of other Elders copy them and laugh. So my name is constantly being called and they all laugh about it. Just making the people happy.
He sent home this video from a break during class, that shows dispite their different languages, French, English or sometimes their tribal language, Elder Darrow is making new friends and loving it.

3 comments:

Lori B. said...

I love hearing his LAUGH!!! great post!

Marcus and Amy said...

I love it! I also like the bits of info that you add to explain whats going on over there! Love reading - keep them coming!

Nicki said...

I think the one missionary that speaks the clicking language was actually praying...