Kumasi, Ghana - Tro-Tro Bus Station

Kumasi, Ghana - Tro-Tro Bus Station

Sekondi, Ghana

Sekondi, Ghana

Saturday, April 17, 2010

Fu Fu

by dad

Last week Alex sent home 1 Cedi, the currency of Ghana. It's worth
about .70 cents. He said that could just about feed them for a day.

( front and back )

He also said he ate real Fu Fu for the first time. Curiosity got the best of me so I did a little reasearch. Fu Fu is a regular part of the diet in West Africa. It is made daily from cassavas and plantains and eaten with soup or dipped in sauces. Fu Fu is swallowed whole, no chewing. I found this you tube video of how it is made and eaten. Yum! Yum!

But first, thoughts from Elder Darrow...

Oh and I had my FIRST FU FU. Man was that tough. It’s like this big
bowl of mushy bread dough like stuff, covered in soup and chicken
and fish. Ryan (his older brother) would gag so fast. We got a big
bowl of it and its VERY rude if you don’t finish it all. So when it came
out my companion told me to eat what ever I can and he would take
care of the rest. So I ate some chicken and when I was about 1/3
of the way thru my half, I just about barfed all over. I swallowed
throw up and just kept on, but it was a lot harder. E Bahme took
a fair part of mine and just said 'finish that and your good.' So I had
about 5/8ths of my half. It was a struggle. It’s just weird swallowing it.
Good thing my comp rocks and likes that stuff. He said that I would
learn to love it and very few enjoyed it the first time.

3 comments:

Marcus and Amy said...

Wow, that just looks so crazy! And how do you not chew it? It looks like pure bread dough. What a trooper!

I wish I could eat for .70 cents a day!

Mike and Shelby said...

Whoa. What an experience! My hats off to him! I'll start adding to my prayers "help Elder Darrow be able to eat without barfing" for him!

Lori B. said...

I wonder if Alex will ever aquire a taste for it?