Kumasi, Ghana - Tro-Tro Bus Station

Kumasi, Ghana - Tro-Tro Bus Station

Sekondi, Ghana

Sekondi, Ghana

Monday, April 19, 2010

It's like I was a Missionary. Weird Right?

by dad

One of the best times life is when you have an 'Ah-ha moment'. It seems that life as a missionary is full of them. Alex sent home these two stories this week.

So this last tues we had a baptism to go to that was the other elders in the apartment. There is this investigator who came to church 3 times in a row and we invited him to come. My comp taught him small (they say small small here) before i came but nothing real serious, but he seemed interested. Well we invited him to the baptism to watch and he said sure (last sun).

Well tues came around and it was at 7. At the last second we had to change it to 6. so we had to go over to joseph’s house to pick him up. after the 15 min walk up and down hills we got to his house and he was working and washing for the week. E bahme told him about the change in time and instead of giving a stupid excuse for why he cant go or something like that (most people do that so its real hard to find people who are serious) he looked at us and made the face like do i have time to change. That was sweet.

As he ran up the stairs to go change i got this over-whelming feeling... if i didn’t know any better i would say it was the spirit. i had a feeling that i knew this guy (he’s like 19-21) was going to be baptized. It was weird. i told my comp that and smiled and said he felt the same feeling. Well we go to the baptism and all went well. We set an appt with him later in the week and that is when the magic happened.

We got to his house with a lesson prepared about the importance of baptism. After sharing Alma 7; 14-15 and some other scrips about baptism E bahme asked him if he wanted to follow Christ’s example and be baptized. i sat there and wait for what felt like an hour as that question floated up in the air. He just looked at us and smiled and said that he wanted that too.

BOOM! its like i jumped into the PMG video i watched over and over in the mtc and every story i have ever heard. It's like I was a Missionary. Weird Right? His work really is so amazing. We have another 3-5 people who are in the same situation and we could have up to 5 people being baptized on May 11th if we keep on doing what we are doing. Things are going crazy. i can’t wait to see how this all turns out.

Alex has real a soft spot in his heart for little children.

This week we went to an appt. with the Acquah family. (one of the more rich Ghanaians around) and by more rich i mean like he has a decent house and a small farm and gives us water (clean water) and sometimes coconuts. well last time we went there this little boy came running out. he was pokin me and such and i grabbed him and put him up on my lap. he loved it. he just sat there and stared at me. i looked at him and opened my eyes REAL wide and he looked at me and did the same. so cute. then i smiled at him and he did the same. then i frowned and he did the same. then i grunted and he did the same. hahaha. i was loving it.

His name is Alex Acquah, he’s maybe 3-4. i leaned in real close to him to look him eye to eye and he did the same. then he touched his little noggin to mine and just stared at me. it was so freakin adorable. i fell in love with this little kid. i was sweating like crazy and when our heads were touching my sweat was running off my face onto his and down his cheeks. he didn’t care. he was just so curious with me. he just chilled in my lap during the lesson and the whole time was really curious. played with my hair. was touchin me and just makin sure i was normal then he started to play with my face (like the lost boys did to peter pan ... see Hook). he just played with my face and was so curious. hahah loved it.

At the end of the lesson they gave us some water (the water is in like these pouch things. they hold 1/2 a liter.) so i drank what i wanted as the little boy watched and i gave him the last little bit. he loved it. after saying the cutest thank you he drinks it all and when he was done he grabbed my (nicest Ike Behar) tie and wiped off his mouth and face with it like it was no big deal. i just freakin melted. hahah i didn’t care at all and it was just so cute. oh man. you would have loved to see it all.

I love you all soooo much and I pray for you like crazy. Don’t you worry.

3 comments:

Mike and Shelby said...

Awwwwwww! Melt my heart! I am loving reading about his mission! Thank you for sharing with us!

Lori B. said...

Tears in my eyes reading this post. He is IN HIS ELEMENT!!

Marcus and Amy said...

Seriously! The way he told that story, it was like we were all there watching it! So special! Alex does have such a way with kids - I am sure they all love him over there!