Kumasi, Ghana - Tro-Tro Bus Station

Kumasi, Ghana - Tro-Tro Bus Station

Sekondi, Ghana

Sekondi, Ghana

Wednesday, March 31, 2010

News IS Good News

By dad

Here's a big surprise - Alex is making all sorts of friends in the MTC and it is really hot in Ghana. His first letters were filled with stories of how nice and friendly the people are to him.
He says...
They love to stare at me but because they love me they smile when I catch them staring. They call me Elder Obruni (Elder white man).

His companion is Elder Mbithi from Kenya. He said there are 39 missionaries in the Ghana MTC. The Ghana MTC is surrounded by a concrete wall. The missionaries there are from Utah, California, Nigeria, Ghana, Liberia, Fuji, Ethipoia, Kenya, Uganda, Madagascar, Congo, Ivory Coast and France.
Only 3 white Elders in all. He said that some of the Missionary's accents are pretty difficult to understand and he understands about 75% of what they say. The missionaries will serve in Ghana, Kenya, Nigeria, Ivory Coast, the Congo and Madagascar. About a fourth of the missionaries are french speaking. He loves the French speaking missionaries and they love him. He said...
Today all the French missionaries were around and I had them sing 'Called to Serve' in French. I didn’t understand but I know the song and it is crazy how you feel the spirit in any language. I wish you guys could experience this. It’s so awesome.

He said the food is average.

I just eat and don’t ask. Finish my plate, no seconds. Trying to get in a habit. Don’t ask, eat. About the food, I made good friends with the ladies who serve us so when they serve something native (nasty) they can tell I don’t like it so they try and help me and give me something more normal. Also, I seriously don’t think you get how hot it is and how much I sweat.

He said that the days are long and overwhelming but he pushes through. He is learning how to translate and working on his sharing his testimony in Fante. He sent this short video of some of the elders in the MTC; Elder Mbithi, Elder Meinzer, and Elder Sanft.

5 comments:

Lori B. said...

My favorite comment "I SERIOUSLY DON'T THINK YOU GET HOW HOT IT IS NAD HOW MUCH I SWEAT" that made me laugh. You couldn't be more thrilled with such newsy letters! Wow!

Lori B. said...

I love how excited Alex sounds in the video. Seriously, could you be any more thrilled?

Nicki said...

Off to a good start! (I like your format for posting his letters)

'cept I was getting a little nervous about the Elder who started to undress... whoa.

Ryan D said...

I miss Alex and wish he would come home already...

Marcus and Amy said...

WHAT AN AWESOME EXPIERENCE HE IS HAVING OVER THERE!! Keep it all coming, I love reading it!

He is in our prayers every night!