Kumasi, Ghana - Tro-Tro Bus Station

Kumasi, Ghana - Tro-Tro Bus Station

Sekondi, Ghana

Sekondi, Ghana

Thursday, March 18, 2010

ALEX goes to Ghana

by dad

After months of waiting, Elder Darrow left today for the MTC in Tema, Gahan. His last day at home was spent with Mom and Dad at the Salt Lake City Temple, followed-up with eggs benedict at Market Street Grill. Needless to say, Alex won't be having eggs benedict anytime soon. He spent the afternoon packing and saying good-bye to Haley. He was set apart as a missionary that evening. That night, Molly and Stephanie flew to New York for a Nat'l Drill team competion traveling on a non-refundable trip paid for in October of last year. I won't even go into how painful those good-byes went. UGH!

In the morning, we took Alex to the airport for his 8:35 flight.
He was very excited to get to the airport. We had to talk him
out of being there 3 hours early like it requested on the travel documents. Two 50lbs suit cases, a duffle bag and a briefcase will hold his life for the next two years. The check-in at the airport went far to quickly and then we found ourselves at the top of the escalator looking sadly at the security screening area. We shared hugs and tears and laughs and more hugs and more tears. I tryed
to get him to hang-out with us a little bit longer but he said, 'Nope. I'm ready to go.' He walked off and said ' Hey, take a picture of me leaving.' After he got through security and before the screening he reached over the railing and gave me final good-bye hugs.

I got a phone call from a Utah cell phone around 1:00pm. A man sitting next to Alex on the plane, gave him his phone to call home and let us know he made it to New York. I sent a thank you text to the phone number that he called me from, and quickly got a response that said, 'No, problem. You should be proud of your son. I am traveling with my sister who is very anti and I think your son made a good impression. He is already becoming a missionary.' Within the next hour I got another cell phone call from a 301 area code. Alex borrowed another cell to call from the plane headed to Ghana. He said he was very comfortable on the hot plane, in his middle aisle seat, ready for the 10 1/2 hour trip to Accra, Ghana.

The next morning I was awakened by a call from Alex reporting he had arrived at the MTC in Tema, Ghana. He was one of 3 missionaries from the states that was reporting in. 37 missionaries from Africa were still coming that day. He was all settled in his room, waiting for his companion, Elder Mbithi from Kenya. He said Ghana was Busy, Crazy and Hot. He said he has showered and changed and his shirt is already soaked. He said the MTC is GREAT. He told me to tell everyone how much he loves them and thanks for all the prayers for him. He will not get e-mail until he reports to the Cape Coast mission in 3 weeks.


4 comments:

Nicki said...

This is an awesome post! So fun to read, I felt like I was right there experiencing it, too! I am so excited for Alex, what a great missionary he will be and an incredible experience he will have! What a great exchange between you and the traveling stranger he met. Thanks for keeping this blog, I'm excited to keep up with it!

xoxo

Lori B. said...

Great post. Even hearing it the second time made me emotional

Marcus and Amy said...

What a stud! I can't wait to continue on and read all about this awesome mission. He will be a fabulous missionary...sounds like he already is too!

I love all the info on the blog too!

Mike and Shelby said...

He will be an amazing missionary. I really enjoyed his farewell talk...it was so sincere and touching. Can't wait to hear all the adventures he'll have serving in Ghana. I love that he wanted to arrive three hours early to the airport. (And thanks for posting his address and shipping info)