Kumasi, Ghana - Tro-Tro Bus Station

Kumasi, Ghana - Tro-Tro Bus Station

Sekondi, Ghana

Sekondi, Ghana

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

We completed the Goal!

just Alex...

Pricilla was baptized on Tuesday. I got to talk on the phone with her and that was so sweet. Really so cool to hear how happy people are after baptism. It’s no lie when we say “they will be clean”. e Matheson and I were the last 2 elders to complete the baptism part of the goal (close call). I also found out from e math that 2 people we were teaching, Mike and Richard Ainoo, are being baptized on the 15th. e Maths and his greenie are having some sweet baptisms. But then again, all the people here are so sweet. It doesn’t matter where you are, the people are incredible.

So let me tell you a little about a man named Gabriel. Last Monday when we were at the post office this guy walked up to e Holmes and said that he was interested in hearing about our church. He didn’t really seem serious at all but we asked where he lived and he said Tanaso (that’s at the edge of our area close to Abuakwa). We got his number and figured that was lucky that this guy happened to live in our area. Weird? I think not.

So we called him and met with him on Thursday. - Side note - We are really tying to focus on teaching people, not lessons. In doing so, we teach by the spirit, not by a pattern or for that matter in any certain order. Now of course you can’t jump right into the Word of Wisdom before someone even knows who Joseph Smith is, but we are trying to teach what people need and not just get in there door and start with who God is. So...

In the meeting with Gabriel, elder Holmes and I decided to do just that. I will tell you that I have never been guided by the spirit more in my life. What’s sweet is elder Holmes and I are so unified, that teaching goes so smooth. Can’t really explain that lesson with you but I will tell you this. He told us that since he met us he has been writing down questions. He has gone from church to church for years and years trying to find the truth. He had about 15 or so ready to ask.
In the first meeting we talked about; The Godhead, Jesus Christ, the Atonement, resurrection, and the purpose of life (which was one of his biggest concerns. "Why am I here? What is our objective?" Yes!!! Let us tell you!). We talked about exaltation, faith, repentance, baptism, receiving the Holy Ghost, enduring to the end, tithing, prayer, and how to pray and how we receiving answers to prayer. BOOM> sounds crazy right? Ya it was. Absolutely insane.

It was so crazy that I left there giving him my own personal Book of Mormon. We didn’t have an extra one and the reoccurring prompting wouldn’t let me leave without giving it to him. That was a first for me. That thing is like gold to me and just like that, I left it with a stranger. It actually had my funeral slip from g-ma. It’s always been in there and you would think that I would be worried about it. It’s kinda important to me. I didn’t even worry about it cuz I knew it was the right thing and that that book was going to do something special, as it has for so many other people.

We got a call from him Fri. night and he was more then excited. He kept saying how "marvelous" the book was and that he found many facts in there and he has wrote them down.

Sweet right?!?

Ya we were quickly humbled when Sunday he was a no show. We called alot but his phone was off and we had no idea what was up? I’m still without my Book of Mormon but not too worried. We were quickly humbled and again realized what missionary work is, not always a walk in the park

We did call him just a few hours ago and he was very apologetic. He said that he had some problem at the worksite and had to travel to central region. He still seemed solid. He even wanted us to come over tonight but can’t make it. So we will be going to see him on Wed. along with Steven.

Sister Juliana (Kingsford's mom) is still planned on being baptized on the 6th. It’s a big week. 5th is her wedding. 6th is the baptism and 7th is transfer news and stephs b-day. And the 8th. Well the 8th is a sweet day :-)

Crazy to think that the transfer is just about over. Time really has flown by here. I always heard that going from area to area makes time fly. I don’t know if it’s that or if I’m just absolutely loving every second of my time with elder Holmes? hmmm. Maybe both.

Thanks. Really you guys are just too awesome. You do so much for me and I wish you could understand how grateful I am. I’m out here working hard and enjoying life.

Ghana really is so awesome.

Too sweet.

loves!!

Alex

and his thoughts on the Utah Jazz news...

As far as the whole D-Will situation. I don’t even want to talk about it. I may or may not have put my head on the keyboard and laid there and held back tears for a minute or two. I may
or may not have...

1 comment:

Jess said...

bahahahahhahahahahhah