Kumasi, Ghana - Tro-Tro Bus Station

Kumasi, Ghana - Tro-Tro Bus Station

Sekondi, Ghana

Sekondi, Ghana

Thursday, January 27, 2011

McAllen Kweku Oppong a.k.a. Mike

by dad

Beyond the emotions of transfer news, Alex also emailed about the missionary work and service they have been providing. It seems that he has been very blessed with amazing experiences. The members of the Sekondi wards are very strong in the gospel and are very supportive of the missionaries. He will miss them and their friendships. Regarding the past week, Elder Darrow wrote...

I called e Mackay earlier in the week and he said "you wouldn’t believe what I did today. I had a baptismal interview for Mike Allen.' He's the guy who we taught every single day for a month and then he moved to Kumasi. Well long story short, they have been teaching him and things are going sweet. (Duh...) He said the day was set for Sunday. So come Sat night I called Mike and he freaked out. About as happy as I have been on mission. He told me 'Thank You' like 30 times. He was just so happy and it was so cool to hear him tell us how grateful he was for us.

Come Sunday e. MacKay said the baptism went great and Mike was more then excited. He was trippin. Was just so awesome to have all that work out. I really got to see the hand of the Lord work thru me as we were teaching him. I have never been guided by the spirit more then when I was talking to him. Said a lot of thing and made a lot of promises to him that i would normally never make, but when I did it wasn’t me talking. Just such a great feeling and I'm so happy that he is actually baptized. Wow. So cool.

(Baptism of McAllen Kweku Oppong - next to E Lehr!)

To explain the name... he said his name was 'Mike Allen' but said it with a Ghanaian accent. He told us to just call him Mike. Then e Mackay said he thought it was actually Mac, but just said it like Mike. And now that they have the actual spelling it's 'McAllen Kweku Oppong'. - He will always be remembered

Things are going great with Sarah and Augustine. Lessons are still super powerful and we have really been focusing on if they get an answer to prayers. (They are active in their church and are in the choir and all so it’s hard) They tell us they always feel different when we are around and that they do feel something different when they pray about all the things we teach.

Also this week we have been going to Kojokrom a lot to teach Pricilla. I told you about her last week. We have spent some time with e. Dodd and e. Bassey out there. Well the lessons with her are sweet and sorry I haven’t told you more about her. Lots of crazy stories not enough time. But we have a baptismal date this week for the 12 of Feb. so that will be cool.

elder darrow