Kumasi, Ghana - Tro-Tro Bus Station

Kumasi, Ghana - Tro-Tro Bus Station

Sekondi, Ghana

Sekondi, Ghana

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

This week was Flippin Sweet

by dad

It would be difficult to shorten the email we received this week without taking away from the joy that Elder DarROW is experiencing. In short, he is working hard, sharing in conversions, and serving. The week in his words...


Alright I'm gonna start off by saying this week was flippin sweet. One of my best. Here’s why...

We were to have the baptism Tues. night if we could figure out the font problem and if all the people would show. We couldn’t get a hold of Ebenezer and he lives so far away. All we could really do is hope. He was ready to be baptized, just it's hard with how far away they live. Elder Sintim and I got out early and headed to the church to somehow figure out what was wrong with the font. We were ready to fill it with buckets. On the way we ran into Isaac Dazi, an RM who is our ward mission leader. He is a work horse. Well he stopped and chatted and we told him we were going to the chapel etc... He says 'Oh, I was there early this morning and fixed it. The font is filling and I'll go by later to turn it off.' ... Wow! It’s like when you wake up Saturday morning after a snow storm and your driveway has already been cleared. It was flippin sweet.

So we went on about our day. Had to go to Paa Kwesi's house and get some info from him mom for the records. There was no doubt whether he was going to come. He’s a stud. So all day we did our best calling every number of anyone who is related to Ebenezer. His only member help is his sister. His dad is friendly and doesn’t mind but doesn’t help at all. Well we had to be at the church early just in case anyone was early and just make sure things were where they needed to be. It was to start at 6 and we got there 4:45ish and just waited. Man was I praying. Just hoping he would understand how important this was to him and see if he really cared about it. He wasn’t at church so we didn’t get to talk to him for over a week. Just hoped and prayed. I will tell you I doubted. I knew that Paa Kwesi would show and there was another child of record Sarah who just needed to be baptized and I thought it would have just been those two.

A few min after 5:00 a man comes walking in with a puzzled look. Not knowing who he was at first, I quickly realized it was Ebenezer’s father. :) We chatted for a bit and said he was on his way home from work and wanted to check things out (i'm guessing for approval of the place). I showed him around the church and the font. After he was satisfied he said he was going to go back and get Ebenezer. :) I honestly think if I wasn’t there early he would have walked to a locked church and not wanted it all to happen and just gone home.

Well I still doubted. I don’t know why but it just didn’t seem realistic for him to go and make it back in time. They live so far away. So the others showed up and we were setting up chairs in the room and I look down the hall and there stands tiny Ebenezer. I was so stressed and busy with setting things up and getting ready didn’t really focus on if he was coming cuz I just figured he wouldn’t show. Right then I knew that someone or people were praying for not only me but for my investigators and for those missionary moments. And I want to say thank you. I could feel the blessings being poured out.

All 3 candidates were there. I was still stressed and running around getting everything to work. If it wasn’t for elder MacKay who controlled the whole program, it wouldn’t have happened. As soon as we were all sitting there and he welcomed us all the baptism... peace... just a calm feeling and I was pumped for what was about to happen. All went well. Thank you again for all of you who are praying for not just me but for the missionaries in general and for the investigators. I saw the power of prayer that day.

Wow!

(The new members - Ebenezer, Paa Kwesi, and Sarah)

Weds I went on exchange with elder MacKay to his area so elder Yapo could see our area. We went to Deboase (a village that has a branch like 45 min outside of Sekondi) in the afternoon with the Lambs. Man, did we work! One of those days where you feel like you couldn’t have worked any harder. There is no better feeling then coming home from a day like that. And what was sweet is the day ended with dinner at the Lambs. French toast and fruit. (real syrup and it was amazing).

Thurs we had zone conf. and after we got mail. boo ya. Got the big package from you guys, letters from home and one from grandma. Went home and opened it all up and loved every bit of it. Thank you thank you thank you. The frosting was sweet. Was the first thing I ate. So, so good.

On Saturday we had a service project with our ward and Kwekuma ward. We cleaned and weeded a hospital. Two things happened. First, really made me miss the assorted juice and donuts you would get back home, cuz after they served banku kenke and fish and all types of things that make me want to gag. Second, guess who came? My 2 favorite; Joseph and King David. They are solid members. Members who show up to hard service projects early on a Saturday. And at one point King David told me that after school is over (he has 8 months left) he is planning on serving a mission. Man was I pumped to hear that. Joseph also said he wants to serve, but I’m not sure if he is as serious as King David. Either way, so happy. That was cool.

(Elders Yapo, Sintim, MacKay and Darrow)

Sunday- we had so many people at church. It was so sweet to have good attendance. After we had a lesson with Grace Bonson, who is a wife to a man in our ward that is very powerful. All their kids came to church and she has been attending for a bit. She told us on Sunday that she wants to be baptized. Having the gospel in a family is so powerful and it’s was cool to be apart of that. We didn’t set the date yet cuz we are still working with it. I hope i’m around long enough to see it happen. So awesome. Really was just a sweet week.

Felt very blessed and I’m so thankful. I love you guys like crazy.

Thanks for all you do.

Elder DarROW

4 comments:

Marcus and Amy said...

Very cool. That little Ebenezer, he is a cute one!

That power of prayer, thats an amazing thing and having faith is important too....thanks for the post this week, it even helped me!

Mike and Shelby said...

What a powerful moment for him...and I'm grateful he is sharing such moments.

DEB STEFFGEN said...

Okay, I am a puddle. Will be using this story in my lesson on Baptism in R.S. in November. Will get your dad to make me a big picture of you and those 3 little people. What a great spirited story. Now we pray for their continued growth in love and fellowship of the ward.
Love, Aut Deb

Nicki said...

wow! And thank you, Elder Darrow, for being in tune with the Spirit and being where you need to be!