Kumasi, Ghana - Tro-Tro Bus Station

Kumasi, Ghana - Tro-Tro Bus Station

Sekondi, Ghana

Sekondi, Ghana

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Still in Sekondi

by dad

This week was transfer week. They came and went without any changes in his zone. Alex has been serving in Sekondi for the past 4 1/2 months and loves it there. He is now serving with his 2nd companion Elder Sintim from Eastern Ghana. He loves the 4 Elders in his Apartment and loves the work. He says he'll stay there as long as the pres. wants him there. He says it's his turn to watch over Sekondi.

(Elder Darrow - Sekondi)

Alright. So here are the highlights of this week.

We have a baptism date for Pau Quasey and Ebenezer. (The two 9-10 year olds) Eb is Agnes’s little bro. She is the one that has to walk so far to church. We still have to talk to Ebenezer’s parents and make sure its cool for sure but I know it will be. Things have been going well with them. Teaching younger kids is a bit different from normal people. So you have to change it up and really make sure they understand. Don’t want to baptize future less actives, but they have fam in the church so they shouldn’t stray. They are two cool little dudes. It’s always a joy to teach them on Sundays. Ebenezer speaks no English so we have to have a ward missionary help us with everything. It’s all good though. They also complete the goal for us. (Football finding) The baptism is set for Aug. 17th. If we have any prob with the parents, we might move it back a bit. But that’s the plan as of now.

We had a lesson this week with Meekel that was one of those "all worth it" lessons. We talked about the BOM and talked about what the book is about, using the pics in the front as normal and really went in depth about it cuz she’s smart and after explaining Moroni she said, ‘Wait... if he hid them and he’s the only one who knew where the plates were then how did we get them back?’ :)) Booya! Right into Joseph smith. Then showed the pic of the angel by his bed and said this is angel Moroni etc... She was confused for a bit and we don’t ever explain right away that it’s the same Moroni cuz if they get it for them selves it really shows they get it. So after a min or so the light just clicked in her head and said ‘Ohhhhhh. Okay. That’s the same guy who hid them. The only one who knows where they were.’ :)) It’s just cool to teach people who really understand and get into the lesson. And it’s so sweet when you can actually feel the spirit working. Then to see it hit her heart is so sweet. After finishing and answering questions, (We always ask lots of questions and make sure they understands it all before we close) and after she got her last question answered she said, Okay... I want to close. I am soo happy right now I would like to pray.’ :))!! It's times like that where you know it wasn’t you teaching. It makes it all worth it. And it really is life changing to see that and be apart of it. Two days later we had a similar lesson about the plan of salv. She’s sweet. I think this transfer will be her baptism.

Also as for the older Ebenezer, (that one story I told you) we have met with him a few times and the lessons are always sweet but he is soo busy and doesn’t have a phone of his own so we can never get a hold of him and make it work. So not much I can do. I’m sure one day it will work though.

As for the stuff that’s going on in Ghana, Accra mission. I heard one elder got 10 years and another got 7. (I also hear that in Ghana 1 year in prison is actually 6 months.) So I’m sure rules are going to get a bit more intense with stuff like that. It’s too bad for them.

I sent off SO many letters this week. Should be getting them soon. You will love them. I'm a hoot when I write. Haha. The Cape Coast zone came today to play in football. Got to see Halling for the last time. He’s cool and will be missed. Also saw elder Bahme. He really is a cool guy. Spent 10 min just catching up and so on. He’s doing well.

(Ping-Pong in BU)

As for our apartment, it's sweet. E Yapo really is a cool guy and I love elder MacKay. We talk a lot. (The two Africans like to be alone and chat about who knows what, so we get to chill a lot). Also as for e Sintim. We are getting along great, except he likes to use my stuff. It’s just in their culture. They expect it. It's weird. He has his patriarchal blessing this Weds so I get to go with him and I hope they let me listen to it. That should be fun.

Also this week I decided to go on a health kick. Problem is, I just love food and need to get on a better trend of eating only when I’m actually hungry. With that and the new Kanye work out plan I’ll be the envy of all my friends.

Didn’t get any mail today and no package so far. Maybe some when the Lambs come back from Accra. Got some last Tue. Letter from Pdoe. I enjoyed that a lot. And one from grandma. Don’t remember if that was this week or last week. Either the weeks are going by too fast or it’s been a while sense I got mail. Either way I don’t like it. Haha

I think I said all I had to say. Love you guys so much. Thanks for all you do. Can’t say that enough.

Elder D-row

No comments: