Kumasi, Ghana - Tro-Tro Bus Station

Kumasi, Ghana - Tro-Tro Bus Station

Sekondi, Ghana

Sekondi, Ghana

Monday, August 16, 2010

He, loves the children...

by dad


Alex seemed to have one of those weeks that challenge you as a missionary. A frustrating, stressful, investigators don't show-up, hard to get stuff done week, when even the baptismal font is having issues. Add to that a 'little bit of a power glitch', so he had to re write most of his weekly email. It's stretching him and he says he's really working on patience and understanding. He found comfort in evening apartment discussions and the scriptures, D&C 122:7... "All things shall give thee experience, and shall be for thy good"

As for the highlight of the week. Today at Baby-Do’s area I got the pleasure to fall in love with another little girl. Her name is Mame Effwuah (ehf-wuah like ROY our fav hockey goalie... ROY!!!) Well I know this girl and see her a lot. Usually when I’m there she stays close to me and will sit on my lap during lessons. (Nothing new cuz a lot of kids do that to me.) Well this time she came up to me and wanted to be picked up. When I did she grabbed my tie with her tiny little hand and dug her head into my shoulder and was fast asleep within minutes. My heart melted. I have never wanted to be a father more in my life then holding that little girl. Needless to say I held her for about an hour.


I love the kids here. When things get stressful all you need to do is stop and talk to the kids and they always cheer me up. I love them so much. I wish I could tell you all about what happens each day, but I just can't put it to words. I love it here.

Don’t have any big lists of wants. Just those pics I sent, I would love if prints got back to me.

Love you all so much. Thanks again for everything.

elder Darrow!



6 comments:

Marcus and Amy said...

Oh my goodness! That picture is priceless, just melts your heart looking at it!

xXx said...

Those are great pictures! It melted MY heart.... and there may or may not have been a little tear. MAYBE.

Mark K said...

Alex, you look absolutley amazing. I am so impressed. You look like your having a great time. Those kids are adorable. Charlonian Classic champions 2 years a running, Look forwards to taking it again on the 4th year with you ha ha ha. I am going to write you very soon. Peace and Love.

Mark K

Mike and Shelby said...

Seriously...tears galore on this one. Someone hand me the kleenex! Such sweet pictures too.

DEB STEFFGEN said...

Okay, will be using this picture in my November lesson, too. Blurry eyes from the tears. You will be a great father someday because you have great father, too.
Love, Aunt Deb

Nicki said...

I can't tell you how much I truly, truly LOVE that picture of Alex and Mame Effwuah... it speaks a million words. so tender and sweet. children are so smart and wonderful, they KNOW where to find safety and comfort.

and thanks for tying it all together with D&C 122:7...