Kumasi, Ghana - Tro-Tro Bus Station

Kumasi, Ghana - Tro-Tro Bus Station

Sekondi, Ghana

Sekondi, Ghana

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Asuoyeboa - Kumasi, Ghana

just Alex. . .

Okay so this has been one crazy, crazy week. I don’t really know how to sum it all up and I don’t know if I really can, so I figured I will answer every question you asked me. I hope that will make you happy.

Secondi - Yes saying goodbye was sad. It was very hard cuz there were so many people I loved there but lucky for me I somehow knew it was coming and it wasn’t a huge surprise to all the people when I said I was going. It wasn’t easy by any means. Was very hard to say goodbye to the Lambs. I love them so much. Don’t worry momma. She took care of me. Sent me off with food for the road. She rocks.

Wednesday - Transfer day was crazy. To make a long story short our bus broke down near Assin Fosu so we had to wait for a new bus from Takoradi. So we spent 3 hours playing football on the side of the road with little kids. Was a long day. Left our apt around 9 a.m. and got to my new one around 11 p.m.

To give you an idea of the ease of travel in Western Ghana (or lack there of), Kumasi is about 120 miles due north of Sekondi. That’s about the same distance from Provo, Utah to Logan, Utah. That drive would take about 2 and 1/2 hours. Transfer day took 11 hours (not counting the 3 hours of soccer).

New apartment - it’s really cool. It’s a bit bigger then my old one. Doesn’t have as much of a main room as sekondi so we eat in our rooms but it’s a sweet place. No complaints. Wait… one! only one bathroom but it’s cool. I still have a working fridge and e. baron has a washing machine so it will be coming up next few weeks. :-)

Reliable power? Well... T.I.A (This Is Africa). Reliable power is a hit and miss but it’s all good. I brought my old net for sleeping so no need to worry there. Do I get hot water? Yes I do! What I do is I take a pot and if I put it on the stove I can boil water. But that’s usually for cooking. If your talking about the showers... still freezing

Walking? - Yes. Our area has no bikes. We have a huge area and as soon as we step out our apt we are there. Basically to explain our area, we are a 10 min normal car ride from Kumasi on the road that leads to Sunyani. But because the traffic is INSANE up here it takes about 30-45 min just to get into town. Kumasi is nuts. I went to central market and its crazy. So many people. I love it though. I love the city. Basically there is one main road and our area is all around it. Our church is about a 15 min walk from our apt and it’s in the middle of our area.


Shopping and Internet?- well in the city of Kumasi there is tons. Lots of great shopping. I can’t find too much stuff that isn’t in Takoradi. Basically there is a just lots lot more. As for Internet there is a nice Vodafone cafe in town that we will use some times but there is one right by our place that we will usually go to.

How's the companion and the rest of the apartment?- e. Holmes is awesome. We get along so well and he is a great teacher, he knows how to work and we laugh all day long. I forgot how much I love laughing. He is just a solid guy and I really hope I get to be with him for a while. BUT he has been in the area for 6 months. So a change this transfer wouldn’t be out of the question. So I’m just trying to soak in the awesomeness while I can. As for the apt. e. Baron is a really cool guy. His comp Adu-Gymfi is a Ghanaian. He has 2 transfers left. He’s really cool. So we have a lot of fun.

In church on Sunday I had "the whole new kid at school" butterflies and was real nervous about fitting in and making friends and was worried about it. Well 20 min into sac meeting a little boy (Kingsford) saw me and came over to investigate who I was he’s maybe 4. Well he ended doing a full-on Hook / Peter Pan face examination and I guess he saw it fit to be my friend and we chilled all meeting. I guess he knew I was looking for a friend and wanted one too. The people here really are so awesome

So that’s about it for now. I think I have said it all. I will talk a lot more about the area and the people but it’s only been a few days and I don’t know much yet. I’m still getting settled in. just know that I’m happy and healthy and that all is going well. Thank you so much for all that you do. Love you guys big time.

xoxox

your baby boy

elder darrow

4 comments:

Jana E said...

What a great kid, I miss Alex!

kevin said...

me too!

Marcus and Amy said...

I bet he really gets along with everyone and all his companions like him too - how could you not like Alex?

Jess said...

thats a crazy cool pic!