Kumasi, Ghana - Tro-Tro Bus Station

Kumasi, Ghana - Tro-Tro Bus Station

Sekondi, Ghana

Sekondi, Ghana

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

World Cup - Ghana 2 USA 1

by dad

Since the missionaries of the Ghana Cape Coast mission have made a covenant not to watch any of the World Cup matches, I felt it only necessary to document for Elder Darrow what all the yelling was about. On June 26th, 2010 the Ghanaian nation soccer team, called The Black Stars, defeated the US soccer team and eliminated them from the World Cup (1 star outshines 50). You can only imagine the pride and joy that is felt by this small country about the size of Oregon with just one tenth the the population of the USA. They advance to the quarter finals and now play July 2nd against Urugauy. Alex had this to say about the victory...

As for Ghana and USA, for any of you who follow that or even care, you can only imagine what it was like here. I guess I just think it would be the same as if the Jazz won the title.... 10 years in a row... hahah. They flippin scream and honk and yell and dance all night long. They even have a huge congo line type-of-thing thru the street about 5 football fields long. That was interesting to watch. They love it. And what’s funny is of course, I was cheering for Ghana. I love the States, but I live here. And at church when people came up to me and said. “Aye... we scored you yesterday.” I said. “ahh. Scored on me? What? For me... I am from Ghana. I was cheering for them”. They got a big laugh out of that. And it was actually brought up in elder’s quorum and they loved that. I love this place. Really starting to know the members and the people. I just love this mission.


1 comment:

Mike and Shelby said...

I'm sure they are loving Elder Darrow as much as he is loving them.