Kumasi, Ghana - Tro-Tro Bus Station

Kumasi, Ghana - Tro-Tro Bus Station

Sekondi, Ghana

Sekondi, Ghana

Monday, May 24, 2010

When the time comes, you gotta put it down.

by dad

Elder Darrow is enjoying another week in paradise.

as for me i was blessed to stay in the great town of Sekondi, as well with my companion. we only had one change in our whole zone. the new elder is from Payson. he’s tight. i'm guessing next transfer there will be a lot that will change. i guess we will see but as for now things are sweet.

(L to R - Elder's Lacanivalu, Bahme, Halling, Darrow)

(Apartment FHE with FuFu dinner)

this last week E Bahme and i fasted with Justice and his family so that we can get help (so they can get married and baptized). it was really cool. we need a lot of help cuz he drags his feet. we also have a non-member husband with a member wife we are teaching. Also, Richard (Joseph and King David’s friend), isn’t progressing like he should be. we don’t want to wait for him to baptize Joseph and King David. so on June 1st i will be baptizing Joseph, King David, and the non-member husband. that’s going to be sweet. it was cool to hear Joseph and King David say that they would like me baptizing them.

i also wanted to tell you all that i had one of the most amazing experiences of my life. i don’t want to tell you a nutshell story of it cuz it was so amazing. i made copies of my journal and sent them to you. it was UNREAL. best day on my mission so far and i doubt anything will change that. (i'm sure something will but can’t see how) let’s just say that I KNOW that i was called to serve in this mission for a reason. and that it was decided LONG before now. even if i had time to email it, i would get way to emotional to tell/type all that in public. so i'm sorry that you will have to wait but it’s on its way. It’s so awesome.

Elder Darrow said he has French Toast in the morning w/ an egg and has Ka-Kro and beans for lunch. Ka-Kro is fried plantains w/ spices. A normal lunch plate costs 10 pesewas for the beans and 20 pesewas for the plantains. That about .21 cents.

His passion for Fu-Fu has yet to be revealed. A Cassava is a starchy, root that is a major source of carbs. A Plantain looks like an over sized banana, but tends to be firmer and lower in sugar content, and usually requires cooking or other processing. It's a staple food in West Africa.

i have been having fufu more and wanted to clear some things up. fufu is made from cassava and plantains. it is NEVER served plain. it is always in some soup. There are 3 main soups that people make with it; light soup ( super spicy lots of pepper), ground nut (made with groundnut paste... its like peanut butter kinda), and palm nut (made from these weird nuts. also spicy). then they add fish or crab or shrimp or snail or chicken to the top. lucky for me i have a companion who can put down everything that i don’t like (all but chicken). then the fufu isn’t so bad, IF you take smaller bites and just swallow it without chewing. i'm doing better but i don’t really like it. i don’t know why or when i will. just not that awesome but when the time comes you gotta put it down.

(Sister Mensah making Fu-Fu for the Missionaries, with Irean in tow)

(Elder Darrow & Elder Bahme helping with dinner)

Lastly, he said...

tell grandpa Bill that the story i'm sending home from my journal is about g-ma. it's amazing and i wanted him to know that she is watching over me and protecting me. she rocks.

i love you and miss you so very much. tell everyone hello

Elder Darrow

2 comments:

Nicki said...

Hey! What about us? I wanna know the story about gma Joyce!

I'll take my Fu Fu with chicken, too, please.

I remember watching that video you posted about how Fu Fu is made, quite the lengthy process. I'm a little curious about how it tastes... do you think when Elder Darrow comes home, he'll have the whole family over one night for dinner and make us all Fu Fu? With chicken, please.

Marcus and Amy said...

I really hope you plan on sharing the story with the rest of us?!? Cause I am seriously on the edge on my seat!

What is he going to do about the Fu Fu when he gets a new companion? I guess when the time comes, he will have to put it down! Alex is a hoot! And I am with nicki, I would want it with chicken, maybe I could do shrimp, but thats it. Snails? Oh man!